the big Other is in the softdrink business

I wonder how collective Arab paranoia acts as a unifying force for Arab/Muslim identity and how the oft-quoted jolt of modernity has left them without a, what is it people say, civil society cognitive mapping. I wrote a pretty crappy paper on the material/linguistic foundations of the Ummah in the modern age and I only wish I had read more about 'the empty gesture' and the Big Other in preparing for it, or else I wouldn't have used so many Benedict Anderson quotes. I would have instead probably gone on some ersatz rant pasting together critical theory snippets and Butrus al-Bustani quotes to say something about how the Ummah nowadays reinforces its communal identity (or masks the lack thereof) with paranoia as the gaze of the Other. الاخر الكبير has a nice ring to it.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Popular Posts