Labor and Monopoly Capital


In the preface to the French edition of Capital, where Marx gives his little spiel on the royal road to science, he is protesting the publication of Capital as a serial, a la mode francais. When I first read that it made me think of what the Americans would have asked of Marx, especially my generation of Americans, to do to spice up Capital. Maybe they would have asked to replace the word 'commodity' with 'hot new items for fall ', or fetishism as 'buzz', or maybe just turned the whole thing into some watered down liberal bullshit rant about American imperialism, like some feisty edition of ad-busters. I would have recommended that he change the beginning of his study, not to commodities (or I guess it would be 'hot new items for fall') but on shitty dead end mcjobs. Here is my recommendation for a rewrite for the American edition.
The wealth of those societies in which the capitalist mode of production prevails, presents itself as “an immense accumulation of shitty dead end mcjobs.,”[1] its unit being a single shitty dead end mcjob.. Our investigation must therefore begin with the analysis of a shitty dead end mcjob.
Wow, all the Naomi Klein fans will jump right on that. Wow, I guess another world really is possible. Fortunately for us, a watered down version, Capital-lite, which focused on dead-end jobs, came out back all the way in the 70's. Luckily for American amnesia, I can 'discover' this book and write a review of it.
I liked this book. It helped me understand how I play the role, as a daftarshah, of non-productive labor in the process of circulation of commodities rather than in production. I am not the broken man on the assembly line, but the assembly line itself! It of course reaffirms the vastly more sublte conception of class relations in monopoly capital, which is no good for Americans who need hollywood villians to rail against, rather than contending with althusserian notion of structure. Nonetheless, it drives home its points by reminding you of how shitty your job is, and I guess Braverman hoped that that would form the nexus of collective resistance. I guess that's good as any other coalition, not even really a coalition, but a firm and wide-ranging identity for solidarity, for we all, truly all, have shitty jobs.

Comments

Popular Posts